Guacamole

Guacamole is delicious. Until last night, I had never made it. Nor had I ever bought an avocado. So I got some avocados at The Kiva in Eugene, a small organic grocer next to the bus station. On the insides they had some rot in them but Allison* says you can just not use that part. She grew up in a part of California where, as I imagine it, avocados rained from trees year round and filled the gutters. Anytime you wanted to walk somewhere you had to bring a machete to cut through all the avocado growth, leaving a trail of coarse guacamole behind you.



Anyways, here's what I made it from:

  • Two avocados, rot removed.
  • About a third of an onion, finely chopped.
  • Half a handful of cilantro, also finely chopped.
Oh, and the cilantro! I bought some at The Kiva for less than a dollar. When I got it home and unbound the bunch, there was so much cilantro! Handfuls upon handfuls! Also delicious. Scoop everything into a bowl and mash it with a fork. Not very complicated.

It was great on burritos with rice, beans, more onion, lime, and cheddar cheese. The tortillas were also organic and presumably fresh. They puffed up just beautifully when warmed on a skillet. It was the best burrito I've ever had in Eugene. Then I deep fried some plantains (the photos didn't turn out so well).





*Roommate turned girlfriend. Sometimes people get to be docile grownups and talk about "John" or "Cindy" or whatever with no introduction. I think that's weird. Sometimes people also get to be docile grownups and buy a CD of Brazilian music compiled by David Byrne and it inspires them to also buy organic groceries and make food of fuzzily corresponding geographic origin. Guilty.

No comments: